Debt Consolidation Forums Question of the month forums

When we are in Love, we do crazy things. What special thing have you done / can do for that special someone without overspending?

member profile picture

Credits: 30811.6
[Donate]

Love is Life. There is/was someone in everyone's life who has/had a special place in our heart. When cupid strikes we simply become crazy and do crazy things. Share your memories or plans with us that you have either done or intend to do for that special someone without overspending.

Being in love, especially a "new" love, can evoke emotions that perhaps you didn't know existed. Suddenly your life takes on a new meaning, purpose. With that comes the desire to show that "love" just how much they mean to you. Society has taught us that material things equal caring. The more you get, the more you mean to someone. Not so much in my book. Anyone can buy a gift but "gifting" your heart and time to someone special is truly an experience of a lifetime. Once that has been accomplished the rest is easy. A "love" doesn't expect you to "do", they desire you to "be". BE there through it all, good, bad or indifferent. My ideal day of "being" is, cooking that special dinner just because, making that certain dessert that takes you half a day to make, (and another half just to clean up!) watching a football game (or a chick flick) on a Sunday afternoon, when you KNOW you have a million other things you should or could be doing, and when the end of that day comes, saying "I love you", and meaning it. "Priceless" without benefit of being in the poorhouse!

Sub: #1 posted on Tue, 07/22/2008 - 18:53

llw1995 llw1995

(Posts: 1422 | Credits: 149.03)

Someone countless years ago coined the cliche "it is the thought that counts!" If you are lucky as I am that still rings true.
I have been known to stop at the side of the road and cut flowers and bring them home to my wife, or make my own Valentine and write the message from my heart rather than buying the words of a stranger. Giving your loved one a pedicure or a foot massage is another gesture that says you care. All these things are free and mean more than the expensive gift that had little thought. There is no reason to shut down during times of financial stress when the only good thing you may have is your significant other. Accepting every apology and never bringing up the past is both free and a great investment in the future of your relationship.

Sub: #2 posted on Tue, 07/22/2008 - 21:16

Frogpatch Frogpatch
Moderators Cum Industry Expert
(Posts: 5381 | Credits: 652.51)

cook a romantic dinner and run a nice hot bubble bath filled with rose pedals. then you have the bed fixed up and also decorated with rose pedals.

Sub: #3 posted on Wed, 07/23/2008 - 00:45

shaquita_scott shaquita_scott

(Posts: 1 | Credits: 0.34)

the best thing you could do for someone would be to get their favorite flower, cook them their favorite meal, have their favorite drink, and song playing in the background...follow dinner with a nice, hot, bubble-bath, followed by a relaxing body massage.

Sub: #4 posted on Wed, 07/23/2008 - 00:55

Teach5520 Teach5520

(Posts: 1 | Credits: 0.4)

To me, love is priceless. I once made a coupon booklet for my sweetie that was good for "1 romantic dinner", "1 massage", "1 batch of cookies", "1 bubble bath" and so forth. I went to the craft store and just picked up some colored paper and printed them up and stapled it into a booklet. The whole thing cost maybe $3.00. The idea is that it is a gift that can go on for days or months and doesnt die like flowers. Its thoughts and time together.

Sub: #5 posted on Wed, 07/23/2008 - 02:52

jenoliver33 jenoliver33

(Posts: 56 | Credits: 4.35)

For a very dear friend whose father was dying, I cleaned her entire house while she was away. When she came back from her father's funeral, exhausted emotionally and physically, she returned to a spotless home.

It cost me only time and a little labor, and 5 years later, she still tears up thinking about how she felt so cared for in a time of true need.

Sub: #6 posted on Wed, 07/23/2008 - 19:30

Myra Emmons Myra Emmons

(Posts: 1 | Credits: 0.36)

They say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, and there is some truth to that.

When I was living with my boyfriend of a few months while relocating for a new job, it was sometimes difficult to come up with inexpensive "dates," especially since the relationship itself had been long-distance and for less than a year. One night, I pulled out one of those Chef Boyardee Home Pizza Kits ($3.99) and a bag of shredded mozzarella, and we made our own pizza while staying in and snuggling up in front of some "Scrubs." It was WAY tastier and more nutritious (one of our other favorite dates is going to the gym together) than ordering Dominos or going out, and we got to spend quality time in the kitchen together!

Sub: #7 posted on Wed, 07/23/2008 - 21:51

Ashley1216830082 Ashley1216830082

(Posts: 1 | Credits: 0.4)

When I was 21, I was in love with a guy (who didn't really love me), his best friend WAS in love with me and a guy friend of mine THOUGHT he was in love with me (got that?)
I naturally wanted to keep them all happy (who doesn't want 3 guys after them!), so I decided to do the "womanly thing" and ask them over for dinner.
I had my mood music ready---the soundtrack from "Saturday Night Fever" (don't laugh) for during dinner and The Eagles "Greatest Hits" for the seduction, I mean discussion after dinner.
I asked the first guy over for dinner on a Friday night. I was cooking my "specialty" spaghetti (Prego with hamburger and a handful of oregano), salad and garlic bread. I figured if I could wow them with my beauty, charm and sex appeal (!), they wouldn't realize I couldn't really cook. Well, I must've looked really good or had on a cute outfit or something cause guy number one said "damn you cook good!". Mission accomplished.
I put the leftover sauce in the freezer. The next Friday night, I invited guy number 2 over. Out came the frozen sauce, buy fresh bread and make a salad. Now, this guy would eat anything, so naturally he thought I was Julia Child or something. But, he did say I looked cute while he was skarfing up the spaghetti. Leftover sauce went into the freezer.
The following Friday night out came the leftover sauce, except now it was pretty much gone. Guy number 3 came over and I served him a bowl of lettuce, garlic bread and a small plate of spaghetti. This guy was so in love with me, that I could tell him anything and he would believe it. So I said that in Italy, people started off their dinners with large salads and bread and that spaghetti was a side dish or sometimes it was even eaten as dessert (I am such a creative LIAR).
Now, did I save money? Heck yeah, I saved money. One jar of Prego, a couple bags of lettuce and some french bread and I made it last for 3 dates!!!! No overspending here! I liked the $2.50 an hour I made (minimum wage in 1977)---I wasn't going to spend any more than I had to. I needed it for important stuff like makeup and 8-track tapes.
Did I do all this for someone I loved? I did...did any of us really love each other? In the end, no...but it sure was FUN!
I forgot one big thing, I made sure that each of them brought a bottle of wine when they came to dinner. This way if any of them questioned my culinary expertise I could blame it on their drinking too much wine.
Thank you for letting me travel down memory lane.

Sub: #8 posted on Thu, 07/24/2008 - 11:44

Lorri Lorri
Moderators
(Posts: 1721 | Credits: 224.67)

I think the best thing a woman can do for her man is totally free - When he gets home from work meet him at the door with a nice meal dressed in lingere (or nothing at all). Food and sex - That's the way to a man's heart! And it will mean much more to him and stick much longer in his memory then buying him some expensive gadget.

Sub: #9 posted on Thu, 07/24/2008 - 22:42

goudah2424 goudah2424

(Posts: 7936 | Credits: 1224.91)

the craziest thing i have done for love was move away from all my family because my then boyfriend didn't like them. we had no money coming in but i was so in love it stuck in there struggling to pay all the bills by myself and still give him money to have in his pocket. until he left to go back to cali to supposivly visit his family not seeing him again until 2 years later where he thought i was suppose to just stop my life to let him back in it. the the best thing that came out of this was when he left a week before he came back i met my husband and we were blessed with a son. so i guess i should thank him for leaving then huh.........

Sub: #10 posted on Sat, 07/26/2008 - 10:01

blinkyberry blinkyberry

(Posts: 108 | Credits: 22.71)

Attachment
More information
  • Files must be less than 1.25 GB.
  • Allowed file types: txt pdf jpg jpeg png.
Post as a guest
CAPTCHA
This question (Case Insensitive) is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Image CAPTCHA
Post as a member

Share post

Page loaded in 3.501 seconds.