member profile picture

Looking for some help and hopefully someone here can help me. I am in the process of a separation from my spouse and this has been going on for over one year. I am being told by my lawyer that I need to publish in the local a newspaper in the classifieds a letter stating that I am no longer responsible for this persons debts. Anyone have any idea on where I can get a sample letter? My spouse has been going to payday loan stores and taking out loans for $800 and then she closes her checking account before they cash her check or else she reports the check she has written as being stolen and there is about $4000 dollars of these out there. She also has taken out loans for 2500 and 1200 from Cash Call and Think Cash and has never made a payment. I need to protect myself and my two daughters from getting snarled in this mess.

If you call your local newspaper...they have a form they will help you fill out. These types of legal notices are very common anf it's just like putting an ad in the paper. They will do it for you. You just supply the names and info.

Sub: #1 posted on Tue, 12/04/2007 - 19:09

Morningstarr430 Morningstarr430

(Posts: 2329 | Credits: 410.28)

I've seen these in the newspaper and it just states Ur name is no longer responsible for the debts of her name.
But as morning said call the paper and they should be able to help u.
Good Luck,

Sub: #2 posted on Tue, 12/04/2007 - 19:28

Ang Ang

(Posts: 2316 | Credits: 215.73)

My brother had to do this too- he just put: As of this date of xxx, I, xxx, am no longer responsible for any debts that are not my own, or of my making. Your attorney can advise you too, as to what to state. Our state just requires the info like my brother did--good luck..karen

Sub: #3 posted on Tue, 12/04/2007 - 22:10

Bossy4455 Bossy4455
(Posts: 5854 | Credits: 743.03)

my town has a service called daily report that is actually cheaper than newspaper ads--

Sub: #4 posted on Sun, 12/09/2007 - 14:01


ummm what exactly are you paying your lawyer to do if he's telling you run legal notices in the paper, but not telling you how to do it? Hell I would think he would write it out for yousoo it s ready to send to the paper(s) for publication.

Sub: #5 posted on Tue, 12/11/2007 - 10:23

(Posts: 1152 | Credits: 249.83)

I would think the fact that your signature is not on those debts would be proof enough. Unless you live in a community property state.

I've just never seen or heard of these ads before.

Sub: #6 posted on Tue, 12/11/2007 - 10:27

DebtCruncher DebtCruncher
(Posts: 2296 | Credits: 269.79)

I have never seen these kind of ads here in Illinois, But I do remember seeing them when I lived in New Mexico.

Sub: #7 posted on Wed, 12/12/2007 - 19:55

(Posts: 1152 | Credits: 249.83)

hey even Im not aware of these ads :(

You are only responsible for the debts that you and your wife had taken jointly ......the money she is taking after you both filed for divorce is none of your concern.

Take care

Sub: #8 posted on Thu, 12/13/2007 - 13:03

Good Nelly Good Nelly
Industry Expert
(Posts: 2543 | Credits: 520.5)

Is divorce/separation the only reason someone publishes this? I have seen this many times in our newspaper.

Sub: #9 posted on Tue, 03/31/2009 - 22:40


These are usually in the legal section of the classified ads.

Sub: #10 posted on Tue, 03/31/2009 - 23:32

Moderators Cum Industry Expert
(Posts: 17209 | Credits: 4746.13)

More information
  • Files must be less than 1.25 GB.
  • Allowed file types: txt pdf jpg jpeg png.
Post as a guest
This question (Case Insensitive) is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Post as a member

Share post

Page loaded in 7.019 seconds.