member profile picture

I am in the state of Georgia and since debt settlement isn't an option here, except maybe DIY,it seems to me that filing bk is about my only option and chpt 13 is what I am considering. I would like to hear your stories about the experience, amounts you owed and how much your payments were. I have about $34000 in unsecured debt. From 3 home business start ups in years gone by to a job loss last year. Supplementing income with credit, saw no other choice at the time. There are tales of DIY settlement, but I don't have thousands of dollars saved up to settle myself. And how often does someone get sued during DIY settlement anyway? Lower payments is what I need. So please, any input would be appreciated.
Also on another message board someone posted to me that alot of Chapter 13's fail and I was wondering why that was, and if that is true.
Thanks

I dont know who told you that but debt settlement is definitely an option for you in GA. Before we moved from GA to DE, I had Teresa Cadiz help me over at Superior Debt. She was able to help us and now we are almost done and have been with them for 20 months.

She's great and helped us to figure out what would be the best way to handle our situation.

Please email me and I'll give you all of her contact information.

Sub: #1 posted on Sun, 08/17/2008 - 18:20

j_levi j_levi

(Posts: 2 | Credits: 0.48)

I dont know who told you that but debt settlement is definitely an option for you in GA. Before we moved from GA to DE, I had Teresa Cadiz help me over at Superior Debt. She was able to help us and now we are almost done and have been with them for 20 months.

She's great and helped us to figure out what would be the best way to handle our situation.

Please email me and I'll give you all of her contact information.

Sub: #2 posted on Sun, 08/17/2008 - 18:21

j_levi j_levi

(Posts: 2 | Credits: 0.48)

I am currently working with Superior too. I had a business that closed, and owed 90,000 and the DIY option just was too much for me. I needed professionals to handle it for me, and they are worth every penny. My monthly payment, including their fee, is about 1/3 of what the credit cards INTEREST ALONE was. And in only 2-1/2 more years, I will be debt free!

Sub: #3 posted on Sun, 08/17/2008 - 23:45

Unregistered

I personally would not file bankruptcy until at least one of them was threatening a lawsuit and making steps toward it. I generally advocate the DYI method but there deffinetly is more stress and pressure that comes with that method. If you hire a company to do it for you make sure you fully investigate them and keep tabs on where your money is going. You certainly don't want to get into the same boat that some are in that used Sifxpert. I was not aware of debt settlment companies being illegal in Georgia but you could probably contact the state AG and verify. Another option is you could hire a lawyer to do it for you. I did that with one of my past debts that was a dispute with an apartment complex. The lawyer settled it at around 70% but the apartment complex never provided the proper paperwork. I ended up going back and settling it myself around 50% after getting the appropriate paperwork. The lawyer helped though because the complex wasn't budging until I had the lawyer send them a letter on their letter head.

Sub: #4 posted on Mon, 08/18/2008 - 07:47

DOLLARSandSINCE DOLLARSandSINCE
Moderators Cum Industry Expert
(Posts: 1078 | Credits: 137.97)

Guest you are correct , well kind of. debt settlement is banned in Georgia . The only companies that can legally offer debt settlement services in that state is a law firm with a licensed attorney in the state of GA. j_levi you are correct as well. Superior used to be able to work in that state but no longer can legally due to recent changes in GA state laws.

Sub: #5 posted on Mon, 08/18/2008 - 08:04

mobile0311 mobile0311
Moderators
(Posts: 1817 | Credits: 104.57)

Okay, so what if I have talked to some settlement companies who say they have lawyers in Georgia? I have talked to so many companies I'm not going to be able to call the name right now, but they were in California, and the man said that they could do it.

Sub: #6 posted on Mon, 08/18/2008 - 13:47

Unregistered

Ask them the name of the law firm they work with. I will be happy to check them out for you. If they can't than don't do business with them.

Sub: #7 posted on Mon, 08/18/2008 - 14:37

mobile0311 mobile0311
Moderators

mobile0311, I am not aware of this so I had my mother-in-law call the attorney general's office in GA and that is not the case. The person she spoke with at the AG's office said that debt settlement companies did not need to have attorneys on staff to do debt settlement.

I'm a bit, okay lots confused! Is there some place this is being stated in a legal document? I am referring my friends and family and really do not want to have them in trouble if that is the case! Plus as American's we should have the Right to choose, rather than be told who we can use!

Any direction would be greatly appreciated!

Sub: #8 posted on Mon, 08/18/2008 - 15:25

Unregistered

Trust me . I work in the industry. Georgia is 1 of 12 states that currently prohibit for for-profit debt management. Your parents or friend would not get in trouble . It would be the company. I believe the fine is 50k if a company is caught doing business in GA " but don't quote me on that". I will have to do some Google searching tonight to provide you with some more info on this subject.

Sub: #9 posted on Mon, 08/18/2008 - 15:44

mobile0311 mobile0311
Moderators

Mobile0311...Not sure about what you are quoting, GA is a state that allows debt settlement. If you call the AG's office they will confirm that you are incorrect.

In a few of the smaller states or where legislation has been passed there are penalties for companies offering the service. It would be best to always confirm with the attorney general's office that such a service can be provided in the state resided.

Sub: #10 posted on Mon, 08/18/2008 - 16:18

Unregistered

Attachment
More information
  • Files must be less than 1.25 GB.
  • Allowed file types: txt pdf jpg jpeg png.
Post as a guest
CAPTCHA
This question (Case Insensitive) is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Image CAPTCHA
Post as a member

Share post

Page loaded in 1.084 seconds.