member profile picture
Posts: 1
Credits: 80

How many years can a credit card debt be garnished from your wages? Can more than 25% of disposable income be taken if you have several credit card debts? Wisconsin

I think it depends on what state you're in as to how long the garnishment can last? As far as the percentage, the most they can garnish is 25% of your wages, regardless of how much the judgment is for.

Sub: #1 posted on Thu, 01/11/2007 - 10:20

dbaker6 dbaker6

(Posts: 1600 | Credits: 147.48)

Wouldn't a garnishment last until the debt was paid?

Sub: #2 posted on Thu, 01/11/2007 - 10:22

Lorri Lorri
(Posts: 1721 | Credits: 224.67)

I live in Ohio and am currently involved in a garnishment. Mine is until it is paid off. I'm not sure about other states.

Sub: #3 posted on Thu, 01/11/2007 - 10:34

dbaker6 dbaker6

(Posts: 1600 | Credits: 147.48)

1) In Wisconsin, garnishments only last for a set amount of time (I'm 95% sure it is 13 weeks.) After 13 weeks, the creditor needs to go file for another garnishment extension, and then it goes on for another 13 weeks, etc. Every time the creditor has to file for a garnishment extension, it costs $15.00 and is added to your balance.

2) Federal law says that up to 25% of your income can be taken to satisfy the garnishment. However, state law can further limit the % amount ... Illinois laws says only 15% of your check can be take. I'm not sure what the rule is in Wisconsin.

Sub: #4 posted on Fri, 01/12/2007 - 05:24

DebtCruncher DebtCruncher
(Posts: 2296 | Credits: 269.79)

I'm almost positive Wisconsin is 90 days..I could be wrong, but I thought I remember that they are the same as Michigan.

Sub: #5 posted on Fri, 01/12/2007 - 07:30

finsfan13 finsfan13
(Posts: 6919 | Credits: 652.11)

Guaranteed that in a state where garnishments have a limitation, the creditor has the extension paperwork sitting on their desk ready to go so that there is no disruption in payment. So, the answer is ... until the debt is paid.

Sub: #6 posted on Fri, 01/12/2007 - 12:29

DebtFairy DebtFairy

(Posts: 402 | Credits: 55.48)

Either until debt is paid or bankruptcy is filed in my humble opinion. Although their are a few steps you make be able to take:
1. Ask for an itemized list of all costs/billing assoc. with garnishment.
2. You make be able to ask for court hearing contesting amount of garnishment.You would need proof that amount is putting you or your family in serious financial trouble.
3. Since this garnishment is from a money judgement I would check the complete case file to see if any paperwork errors have been made. The reason to do this is to throw judgement out and force orginal creditor to either refile or neg. with you for voluntary payment.

Sub: #7 posted on Fri, 01/12/2007 - 18:56

cajunbulldog cajunbulldog
(Posts: 4859 | Credits: 425)

Good strategy Cajun. Many a case have been dismissed due to improper filings and mistakes in procedure.

Sub: #8 posted on Sat, 01/13/2007 - 00:29

DebtFairy DebtFairy

(Posts: 402 | Credits: 55.48)

More information
  • Files must be less than 1.25 GB.
  • Allowed file types: txt pdf jpg jpeg png.
Post as a guest
This question (Case Insensitive) is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Post as a member

Share post

Page loaded in 1.329 seconds.