Debt Consolidation Forums Payday Loan help forums

MN Illegal PDL loans - can I sue?

member profile picture
Posts: 2
Credits: 173.35

I've closed my checking so the withdrawals have stopped finally. Now, reviewing my bank statements I've added the numbers and it looks like I paid $2700 for loans totalling about $1100. I know that I've paid the princepal back on all of the loans just wondering if I can hire a lawyer to get the $1600 back?

Request a refund from the lender.

Suing would be a waste of your money as most of these illegal lenders are offshore and not subject to our laws.

Sub: #1 posted on Thu, 11/03/2011 - 01:53

OhioGal1 OhioGal1
Moderators Cum Industry Expert
(Posts: 5254 | Credits: 830.39)

Thanks for the replies.
Lets assume they are in the US, and I have a lawyer that I wouldn't have to pay for. Would I be able to sue? I am just wondering if its possible or am I just out the extra money
I would really like to "teach" them a lesson since they are ignoring my requests for proof of the debt (I have twice requested a detailed statement of all transactions) as well, I've twice asked them to stop calling my work phone and they still did but not for a few weeks now.
Unfortunately I did not keep notes on who and when I spoke to so i can't get them on that but I would love to get my money back. Christmas is coming.

Sub: #2 posted on Sun, 11/06/2011 - 20:22

angieanderson angieanderson

(Posts: 2 | Credits: 1.73)

you are dreaming if you are thinking of extra christmas money......
Court proceedings take time....and money. You have to pay for the filings.

You are not going to teach them a lesson....they know what they do and they do it well. They know what is legal and illegal.

As for a refund...if they ignore you chalk it up to an expensive lesson learned.

As for them ignoring you, if it was the first party calling, they have every right to call...the FDCPA does not apply. As for detailed transactions, once you stop paying, they are not going to go out of their way to customer service your account. You should have been keeping track of the transactions yourself.

Sub: #3 posted on Sun, 11/06/2011 - 21:35

Moderators Cum Industry Expert
(Posts: 17209 | Credits: 4746.14)

I think it would be better for you to talk to the lender first and check if you can get a refund. But, in general, as has been seen, this is not going to happen. If you are sure that they are illegal payday lenders, then first file complaint with the FTC and the State???s Attorney General. Court related proceedings are costly affairs and it is better to avoid those as much as possible. It may cost you much more than what you have actually paid as extra to the payday lender.

Sub: #4 posted on Mon, 11/07/2011 - 11:03

marvelbecks marvelbecks

(Posts: 143 | Credits: 84.97)

marvel, in the future, please read the entire thread before posting replies.

Sub: #5 posted on Mon, 11/07/2011 - 18:57

OhioGal1 OhioGal1
Moderators Cum Industry Expert
(Posts: 5254 | Credits: 830.39)

More information
  • Files must be less than 1.25 GB.
  • Allowed file types: txt pdf jpg jpeg png.
Post as a guest
This question (Case Insensitive) is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Post as a member

Share post

Page loaded in 2.963 seconds.