member profile picture
Posts: 2
Credits: 66.2

Ok here I go......I live in CA and i have this verizon account being handled by Midland CA. I do not recall ever having Verizon? I am past my initial dunning letter. (I do not recall getting it???). I sent Midland two DV letters and both got no response. today I finally called Midland and the CA told me that they never received the DV letters and that i need to provide them proof that the account doesnt belong to me ????lol.....I asked the lady how I can prove that the account doesnt belong to me and she answered that I must get a police report. :shock: ....She even went as far as saying that they have enough proof to take me to court.....I still cant believe that she told me I am responsible to prove to them that the account is not mine....Do you guys think I should go get a police report and fax it to them?

You don't have to prove anything. They are making the claim that you owe them money, so they will have to prove it.

Send Midland another DV letter Certified Return Receipt and see what the response is. Midland may or may not, depending on their legal name, be licensed in Califonia.

Did you send the DV letter certified? Did you keep copies of the letters? Your claim that you sent the letter is a strong as their claim that they sent you the dunning letter.

In California Verizon offers Cellular service and landline telephone service in spot of California. In Northern California there is two cities north of SF that has Verizon and are surrounded by AT&T.

Also the old GTE cellular service became Verizon.

Call Verizon and get there accounting department and they should be able to tell you if you ever had an account.

Sub: #1 posted on Wed, 07/30/2008 - 10:23


I sent both the DVs with a return receipt. Should I just get a police report and fax it to Midland?

Sub: #2 posted on Wed, 07/30/2008 - 11:21

an818outlaw an818outlaw

(Posts: 2 | Credits: 0.66)

If you think this is the result of ID theft then go to:


and download the ID Theft affadavit. Then go on-line to your local PD's website and see if they have a link on how to file a police report for IDT. You might have to go to the county or even the state police in order to file a report. If they tell you IDT is not a crime in your state, file a miscellaneous incident report.

Pull all 3 CR's from to find out if there are any other fraudulent accounts listed. You will need to identify all when you send this to the CRA's.

Once you have the notorized IDT affadavit and police report, send them, along with 2 forms of ID, and your individual CR's listing the fraudulent accounts to the CRA's. You must send proof of ID or they will not accept it. Once you have done this, the CRA's must permanently suppress all accounts you identify.

Here's a sample letter:


Your Name
Your Address
Your City, State, Zip Code

Complaint Department
Name of the Credit Bureau
City, State, Zip Code

Dear Sir or Madam:

I am writing to dispute the following information in my file. The items I dispute also are circled on the attached copy of the report I received. (Identify item(s) disputed by name of source, such as creditors or tax court, and identify type of item, such as credit account, judgment, etc.)

I am a victim of identity theft, and did not make the charges(s). I am requesting that the item be blocked to correct my credit report.

Enclosed are copies of (use this sentence if applicable and describe any enclosed documentation) supporting my position. Please investigate this (these) matter(s) and block the disputed item(s) as soon as possible.


Your Name

Enclosures: (List what you are enclosing.)

As far as the CA, send then the police report and IDT affadavit only. Inform them that any further collection attempts will result in filing suit against them.

Sub: #3 posted on Wed, 07/30/2008 - 16:02

Moderators Cum Industry Expert
(Posts: 4665 | Credits: 308.23)

I had something similar happen to me with them. They sent me a notice saying I owed Sprint and my account was past due for about 6-8 months. Long story short...Although I did have a Sprint account it was not past due. I contacted Sprint after contacting Midland (got the run around a bit). Sprint put me through to their fraud dept and things were handled with them. Ended up someone had opened a secondary account in my name. I'd suggest you contact Verizon for help.

Sub: #4 posted on Thu, 07/31/2008 - 03:06


More information
  • Files must be less than 500 MB.
  • Allowed file types: txt pdf jpg jpeg png.

Share post

Page loaded in 0.723 seconds.