member profile picture

I received a dunning letter in the mail about a week ago from Mapother & Mapother P.S.C. in KY.

I've checked my credit report and this firm hasn't hit my credit report, but Brachfeld & Assoc. did. Are they connected?

I'm assuming a debt validation letter needs to be sent, but I've never sent one before. Any info on getting one together would be helpful.

Statute of limitations in my state is five years and the account they're trying to collect on was last paid on in June/July, 2006.

My husband is unemployed currently and is our only source of income. We have no assets that they could get -- only one car, which is under a loan payment for another year and a half, and our house, which has a loan payment for another 25 years.

Basically, I'm lost and need guidance. Thank you!

Same Debt Validation letter template.

Bracfeld, a collection agency, is probably hiring Mapother, a law firm, to do the deed. Send the DV letter to both.

Document everything.

Bracfeld is a bad agency according to Bud Hibbs:
"http://www.budhibbs.c om/collectorpages/meri dian.htm"

(You have to delete the space I had to add to get around the stupid censorship software).

Sub: #1 posted on Sat, 06/06/2009 - 10:54

Chrys Henderson Chrys Henderson

(Posts: 2532 | Credits: 173.73)

Thank you for the links! I appreciate it.
So, basically, I just get the letter out and send it out with return receipt requested?
How likely is it that the law firm will have the "proof" that they own this debt now?
We can't afford a lawsuit right now, let alone a judgement or wage garnishment. We're barely making bills on my husband's unemployment pay.

Sub: #2 posted on Sat, 06/06/2009 - 22:27


Then you should be ok. The courts are not going to force a payment plan that you cannot afford. Just be careful not to accept any deal that you don't think you can afford.

And it would be impossible to ascertain whether they have all their documents for Discovery or not. But it often happens that they do not, which is part of the psychological reason that they are so aggressive - people become intimidated and end up paying on a debt even when the alleged creditor doesn't have any viable evidence. The squeaky wheel gets the oil and all that....

Sub: #3 posted on Mon, 06/08/2009 - 16:52

Chrys Henderson Chrys Henderson

(Posts: 2532 | Credits: 173.73)

I had trouble from them one time and the only way I found out was that they got a judgement and wiped out my husbands and mine joint bank acct.

Sub: #4 posted on Tue, 06/09/2009 - 23:34


The only way you found out? Did you even know about this judgment? If not, file a motion with the courts to have it vacated due to improper service (call your local county civil court and ask them to 1)find out which county the case was held in and 2) how to file that Motion.

Sub: #5 posted on Fri, 06/12/2009 - 10:22

Chrys Henderson Chrys Henderson

(Posts: 2532 | Credits: 173.73)

More information
  • Files must be less than 1.25 GB.
  • Allowed file types: txt pdf jpg jpeg png.
Post as a guest
This question (Case Insensitive) is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Post as a member

Share post

Page loaded in 1.263 seconds.