CBE Group Inc. is a collection agency (CA) located in Waterloo, Iowa. Many consumers do not seem to be pleased with this company's service. There are numerous consumer complaints against this CA, some of which have been shared by guests and members of the DebtCC community. Take a look at the topics given below to know about the major complaints against CBE Group.
CBE Group complaints - The causes of customer dissatisfaction
Those who have dealt with CBE Group collection agency have made a lot of complaints against them. Read through some of the common complaints given below to learn what type of problems consumers have faced with this collection agency.
- Contacting the wrong person: One consumer says that the collection agency called him repeatedly for a debt which his brother owed. He had told the CA repeatedly that his brother no longer lives with him, but the CA refused to refrain from contacting him about the debt. Find out more.
- Harassment for debt already settled: According to one customer, the collection agency harasses consumers even after they have paid down the debt. He says he was harassed several times for an account which had already been settled. Get the details on this.
- Reluctance to acknowledge pay-off: A guest in the DebtCC forum complains that CBE Group collection agency refused to give him any letter acknowledging that he had paid down the debt. Read more.
- Contacting about bogus debt: One consumer claims that the agency called her and her boyfriend about a debt which they did not owe. She says that they canceled their ISP and everything had been resolved. But CBE Group collection agency came after them years later about this debt. Check out the details.
Things to remember when dealing with a CA
Whenever you are dealing with the collection agency, you should remember the following in order to avoid being harassed or scammed by them.
- Be aware of your rights: This is the most important thing to keep in mind when dealing with any collection agency. Many of these agencies take undue advantage of your ignorance of your consumer rights and harass you. Being aware of your rights will help you overcome these problems. Whether you owe the debt or you do not, in either case the collection agency is required to treat you fairly and with respect. Take a look at the FDCPA to acquaint yourself with your rights against collection agencies.
- Ask specific questions to your collector: When a debt collector contacts you, try and get as much information from them as possible. Ask the debt collector his name, the name of the CA he represents, the original creditor, and the CA's contact information etc.
- Let them know you're aware of your rights: When a CA contacts you, tell them to contact you in writing and not over the phone. Ask them to refrain from calling you at work or contacting your relatives, friends, or neighbors regarding the debt. Ask them to validate the debt and follow up every request with a letter re-emphasizing these points and keep a copy of the letter.
- Do not make payments just to avoid the CA: Do not make any payments to the debt collectors just to get rid of their harassing calls. They use various tactics to frighten you so you start making payments to them, regardless of whether you actually owe the debt. Remember that if you pay them, it might be considered an acknowledgement that you owe the debt. Make sure you do not make any payments until the CA validates the debt.
- Get details of repayment plan: If the CA validates the debt and you want to pay it off with a repayment plan, get the repayment plan details in writing. If you have multiple debts, make sure which debt(s) the CA would apply your payments to. You should also get it in writing how the CA is going to report the account to the credit bureaus once you repay it.
If you need to contact the CBE Group, use the information below:
CBE Group address:
131, Tower Park Drive - STE 100,
Waterloo, IA - 50701-9374.
CBE Group phone number: (319) 234-6686