DebtConsolidationCare [A+ on BBB] Logo
DebtConsolidationCare Forums
Discuss your problems and get out of debt
Get honest and blunt feedback on your debt issues from Experts for FREE
For Free Debt Counseling: Call 800-DEBT-913 or

can a debt collector come to your house?

member profile picture
Credits: 277.3
[Donate]

please help, i bounced a check with a finance company and after calling & leaving messages they came to my house & treatened to call the sheriff if i did not pay my bounced check. Is this legal?

kscornell

Credits: 47318.200097179

Sub: #1 What state are you in? Making a visit like that almost sounds li
Sat, 01/06/2007 - 09:15

What state are you in? Making a visit like that almost sounds like harassment to me.

SUEBEEHONEY70

Credits: 65464.3

Sub: #2 Was this a local finance company, that they had the ability to f
Sat, 01/06/2007 - 09:18

Was this a local finance company, that they had the ability to find out exactly where you live and come to your door?? Did you respond to any of the messages they left for you? If not, then my guess is they were taking the only recoure they felt available to them. I don't know about whether it was legal or not, but if you didn't return their calls or messages, I'm sure they felt it was their only option.

I'm not taking anyone's side here - yours or the finance company's - I'm just trying to get more detail on what happened so we can offer you some constructive advice.

As far as the bounced check goes, yes the sheriff can come to your door to serve you court papers for a civil suit on a bounced check, if you don't pay it - at least in some states.

If you can give us more information, we might be able to offer better advice.

onelamb
Credits: 2785

Sub: #3 Call the finance company and pay the debt. You will stop some le
Sat, 01/06/2007 - 12:40

Call the finance company and pay the debt. You will stop some legal actions from happening against you. Writing bad checks is not accepted in most state laws.

FYI

Credits: 20054.35

Sub: #4 Most states if not all consider it illegal to bounce checks. If
Sat, 01/06/2007 - 15:43

Most states if not all consider it illegal to bounce checks. If you let a bounce check go too long without being paid you could have a visit from the sherifs office and depending on if you have the money right then and there for the check and warrent issued you might get to go home and if you don't along with what time of day it is you could spend a night in jail.

Unregistered

Sub: #5 debts on my house
Thu, 10/30/2008 - 06:07

I have just moved into a new house and have had several debt collectors round after the old tennants. How can I clear the house of these debts so I can obtain credit myself

Thanks.....Keith dale

SOAPLADY

Debt Samaritan
Credits: 474465.88869987

Sub: #6 Previous tenants debts will not affect your credit.
Thu, 10/30/2008 - 06:16

Previous tenants debts will not affect your credit.

NASCAR_Devil

Credits: 30821.994972777

Sub: #7 Are they calling, mailing or visiting in person. If they're mai
Thu, 10/30/2008 - 06:26

Are they calling, mailing or visiting in person. If they're mailing, just write "return to sender - addressee no longer resides at this address" and send it back.

Unregistered

Sub: #8 debt collector
Fri, 10/31/2008 - 10:06

can a debt collector come to my home to collect the debt, they did today and I don't think it is right.

Unregistered

Sub: #9 invite the guy in for some exlax cookies
Mon, 11/03/2008 - 00:13

invite the guy in for some exlax cookies

Unregistered

Sub: #10 Debt Collector
Wed, 08/26/2009 - 21:28

You should have replied to their attempts to collect the check.. via phone or letter you should have called and made arrangments to pay. Sometimes finance companies will visit the home as a final attempt to collect a debt rather then filing suit against the customer. I see this tactic as the company trying to work something out rather then putting the customer in a worse situation then what they find themselves in. Now if the home visit is unsucessful then at that time the finance company can pursue legal action. From experience its not the that a customer doesn't want to pay but rather they are unable to at the time and are to embarrassed to call the finance company to make arrangments. Usually once this is done the customer does come through and the company saved time and the cost to file suit as well as perserving the customers credit. :D

Add new comment

Attachment
More information
  • Files must be less than 2 MB.
  • Allowed file types: txt pdf jpg jpeg png.
CAPTCHA
This question (Case Insensitive) is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Image CAPTCHA

Share post
-->

Page loaded in 1.416 seconds.