member profile picture
Posts: 1
Credits: 114.65

They refuse to close the account, at my request. they refuse to stop any ACH debits. They overdraw my account even though I have instructed them not to. What can I do?

Unfortunately it is very hard to close an account when it is overdrawn. Try to work out payment arrangements with them, go in and talk to a branch manger and explain your situation.

You need to contact the places that are taking the companies that are taking the ach's and withdraw your consent allowing them to do that. Other's will be along to advise you further.

Sub: #1 posted on Wed, 07/16/2008 - 09:05

ladybug ladybug

(Posts: 2757 | Credits: 282.45)

you need to speak face to face with the manager and get a
hard debit block on your account.that means nothing can or will
come out.if you are overdrawn that is what you should do.go
talk to the manager nobody else.

Sub: #2 posted on Wed, 07/16/2008 - 18:01

paulmergel paulmergel
Moderators Cum Industry Expert
(Posts: 15511 | Credits: 1357.03)

I don't know if it would work but it might put pressure on the bank manager if you filed a police report against the companies that were stealing from you. I would take any documentation you had revoking ACH access and bank statements showing they were still hitting your account when you file the police report. Make sure you mention in the report that the bank is not helping you and empowering the thieves. Then take that report to the manager. Thats assuming they won't hard block like paul suggested.

Sub: #3 posted on Wed, 07/16/2008 - 18:09

Moderators Cum Industry Expert
(Posts: 1078 | Credits: 137.97)

Thanks for all of your suggestions. There is such a block on the account. They still allow the ACH debits. The account is not suppossed to be overdrawn. The bank is WAMU and the Branch managers are powerless to do anything. WAMU makes the rules and these rules are followed to suit them.

If you need anything done except apply for a loan or open an account or close an account you have to call an 800 number.

It used to be a good bank, but about 1 year ago policy changed.

I would appreciate any other help or suggestions that you could give me. For example, does any one know an agency that I could report this to?

I have submitted a written complaint to WAMU Headuarters in WA

I once found a site like this where they offered legal advice for this type of situation however I wasn't having this problem.

I have started contacting the companies and have withdrawn my consent for ACH withdrawals.

In a recent communication the Bank did say that they can stop ACH withdrawals, but when I asked them to they said that they can't. -- It is all very strange to me

Sub: #4 posted on Thu, 07/17/2008 - 08:24


The OCC (Office of the Comptroller of Currency) is the regulating authority for national banks like WaMu.

Sub: #5 posted on Thu, 07/17/2008 - 19:28

goudah2424 goudah2424

(Posts: 7936 | Credits: 1224.93)

Sub: #6 posted on Fri, 07/18/2008 - 01:40

billyg35 billyg35

(Posts: 31 | Credits: 5.65)

To billyg35:
Thank you sooooo much for the link. I think that is just what I needed. Bank update--The bank is finally trying to cooperate after I went to their secure message site and left them a message.

To everyone else:
Thank you all for all the info I saw about PDLs, I already contacted one company and they are backing off. I am one of those people who got into the PDL thing and now, thank God, and thank you for showing me the way out. I can't even begin to express my gratitude for all of the help and advice that I have received through this site. Thank you very much

Sub: #7 posted on Fri, 07/18/2008 - 19:29


See this is why I love this site so much. Everyone in the PDL industry is a scumbag and there is nothing better than helping someone deal with those PDL scumbags. Just keep at them and you will get the mess cleared up.

Sub: #8 posted on Fri, 07/18/2008 - 20:11

Moderators Cum Industry Expert
(Posts: 1078 | Credits: 137.97)

Ahhhh, another problem with WaMu!!! What fun people they are....NOT!!! Wish I did not have to deal with them for my mortgage, but can't refinance right now either,.

Sub: #9 posted on Fri, 07/18/2008 - 23:23

2nband 2nband
(Posts: 2279 | Credits: 469.2)

Yeah, my husband and I are in the same boat as you 2nband. We have a mortgage with WAMU and cannot refinance because we owe more than the house is worth. We even tried to go through the loss mitigation department to try and lower our payments, but of course since we are not behind or have defaulted they will not help either. I guess we are stuck with them until some miracle happens :)

Sub: #10 posted on Fri, 07/18/2008 - 23:44

rthomas rthomas

(Posts: 34 | Credits: 4.08)

More information
  • Files must be less than 500 MB.
  • Allowed file types: txt pdf jpg jpeg png.

Share post

Page loaded in 1.302 seconds.