member profile picture
Posts: 1
Credits: 73.05

Can I ask a bank to remove a dept that has been paid?

You can but they are not obligated to remove it.

Sub: #1 posted on Thu, 07/17/2008 - 23:53

cajunbulldog cajunbulldog
(Posts: 4859 | Credits: 425)

Research Goodwill letters to Original creditors. If you can't get a deletion maybe you can get a "pays as agreed" on the tradeline.

Sub: #2 posted on Fri, 07/18/2008 - 00:15

Moderators Cum Industry Expert
(Posts: 4665 | Credits: 308.23)

You can also dispute it with the CRA's. If the bank doesn't respond then it gets deleted. If they respond you can wait a few days and dispute it again.

Sub: #3 posted on Fri, 07/18/2008 - 01:59

Moderators Cum Industry Expert
(Posts: 1078 | Credits: 137.97)

Definitely try to dispute it. I was amazed at how many negatives feel off my reports just because they could not verify them in the 30 days alllowed.

Just a reminder that the amended FCRA under FACTA - (Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions ACT) allows you to get free annual reports.

To get the reports, you must answer 3 multiple choice test questions about your accounts, account numbers and/or addresses. If the online site does not work, you can still send a written request for a free report ro call each of the bureaus themselves.

If you are looking to dispute your credit report, the easiest way is to do this online. Each bureau allows online disputes. I recently did mine and it was very simple.

Online, you may request investigation of the following items bankruptcies , collection accounts, credit accounts, judgments, liens , garnishments

There are many reasons to dispute, remember it is YOUR RIGHT TO DISPUTE EVEN IF THE REPORT IS ACCURATE !! Make them verify it and if they can't if MUST BE REMOVED !

Generally each bureau when disputing onlne has a drop down list of choices for reasons for dispute. I disputed all of my negatives as -this item doesn't belong to me and for example, 3 of the 5 on my one report were removed. There are other things you can dispute for:
This item does not belong to me
I have never paid this account late
This account is closed
This is a fraudulent account
Fraudulent charges made on this account

When you examine your own credit file that is considered a soft pull. If someone else does a soft pull, it only contains your "credit header" information; name, address, SSN, DOB, employer, previous addresses. financial transactions and account information is excluded.

A soft pull is often done to verify identity or for promotional offers. Anyone with "persmissible purpose" can run a soft pull; if you apply for credit, have an existing account or financial relationship with an individual or business.
If you don't want your information shared for promotional offiers, you must opt out.
1-888-5-OPT-OUT (1-888-567-8688)

If you are just starting credit repair, you must start with the basics. This is a very simple break down of the steps you need to take in the beginning.

1. Order reports directly from ALL 3 CRAs - If you cannot afford to purchase them you can get your free annual report. *Please keep in mind that disputing with a free annual report gives the CRA more time (45 days). It is not wise to dispute with these because it will lessen your chance for a deletion.

2. Opt out

3. Update/Delete any personal info with the CRAs *Have as much as possible removed. It would be ideal to only have your current address. No variations of name, addresses or socials. No need for employment information or phone numbers. It is not necessary.

4. Wait until 2 & 3 take effect (give opting out about a week) and READ in the meantime. *Read up on your state laws, the FCRA, fdcpa and the FCBA

5. Triage your reports. *Go to Why Chat's site and find out the SOL for your state. Figure out which accts are out of SOL and start with those. You determine if the acct is out of SOL by the DOFD (date of first delinquency). Please be aware that disputing any accts that are still within SOL could possibly wake up a sleeping giant and you can be sued. So proceed with caution and make sure you understand what you are doing first.

6. Dispute with CRAs *You can do a blanket dispute (dispute everything). Some have luck with this. OR just dispute 3-4 at a time.
Whatever you decide, you must wait until the investigation is over before disputing any more (30+5 days for regular report disputes/45+5 days for disputing with the free reports)

7. Now you WAIT..........and READ.

Sub: #4 posted on Sat, 07/19/2008 - 06:50

Mary Adkins Matthews Mary Adkins Matthews
Moderators Cum Industry Expert
(Posts: 755 | Credits: 146.74)

Good info MCA. The problem that you run into sometimes though is the deletion of an otherwise good TL with maybe a couple lates being reported. That's why I recommend first going to the OC with the Goodwill approach to see if teh TL can be updated by them vs. the chance of a full deletion as the result of a dispute.

Sub: #5 posted on Sat, 07/19/2008 - 15:27

Moderators Cum Industry Expert
(Posts: 4665 | Credits: 308.23)

I know what you mean....I didn't dispute any good ones

Sub: #6 posted on Sun, 07/20/2008 - 03:28

Mary Adkins Matthews Mary Adkins Matthews
Moderators Cum Industry Expert
(Posts: 755 | Credits: 146.74)

Is it hard to get old addresses and outdated info removed and what steps need to be taken to get them removed? Do you dispute it just as you would an inaccurate TL or is there some other process?

Sub: #7 posted on Mon, 07/21/2008 - 18:45

Moderators Cum Industry Expert
(Posts: 1078 | Credits: 137.97)

Definately remove any old addresses, incorrect names or any other old, obsolete personal info. I send in a copy of my report with every incorrect obsolete item on it. EX is the worst to deal with though. If any tradeline showing on your report is attached to an old address, they will not remove it. You may have to go back to the data furnisher and update your personal info with them.

Sub: #8 posted on Mon, 07/21/2008 - 20:23

Moderators Cum Industry Expert
(Posts: 4665 | Credits: 308.23)

I have found each of the three Credit Reporting Agencies were hard to work with in different ways.

Sub: #9 posted on Wed, 07/23/2008 - 23:19

smo65d11 smo65d11

(Posts: 1468 | Credits: 133.12)

More information
  • Files must be less than 500 MB.
  • Allowed file types: txt pdf jpg jpeg png.

Share post

Page loaded in 2.144 seconds.