Debt Consolidation Forums Collection agencies and creditors forums

What do I do if Asset Acceptance collects an account I do not owe?

member profile picture

Imp Note: asset acceptance llc are not following fdcpa so if you are getting unwanted phone calls or mails from anyone associated with the company, please respond strongly. Signup for free counseling and handle all problems associated with asset acceptance llc with professional help.
On a Pacific Bell acct.which was an identety theft acct.I'm being held responsible for I already cleared one acct up from same company. How come this one diddn't get cleared ?? nor did I recieve the depososition form , And can I do it on line??

Quote:
Originally Posted byAnonymous
If i owe $12,000 to Asset Acceptance, how much should I settle for to get out of this debt? What is the % of the normal settlement? If I need to hire an attorney to handle this transaction? PLEASE HELP! Thanks a bunch!

first things first.did asset send you a collection letter?if so get a DV(debt validation)letter out certified mail return receipt.you see this is one of the most notorious JDB'S(junk debt buyers)going.make them prove you actually owe this,and that they are legally entitled to collect.do not trust this place at all.leave no stone unturned before even thinking about paying them.

Sub: #1 posted on Thu, 04/29/2010 - 17:44

paulmergel paulmergel
Moderators Cum Industry Expert
(Posts: 15511 | Credits: 1357.03)

If i owe $12,000 to Asset Acceptance, how much should I settle for to get out of this debt? What is the % of the normal settlement? If I need to hire an attorney to handle this transaction? PLEASE HELP! Thanks a bunch!

Sub: #2 posted on Thu, 04/29/2010 - 10:02

Unregistered

Guest, sounds as if they are blowing smoke! Don't believe them.

Sub: #3 posted on Fri, 03/27/2009 - 13:39

Unregistered

Asset Acceptance called my house looking for my daughter. When I told them they had the wrong number their representative told me they just got a new report and they saw where she called my phone number from her cell phone. Isn't that an invasion of privacy? I thought cell phone records were confidential.

Sub: #4 posted on Fri, 03/27/2009 - 00:41

Unregistered

The FTC has made it quite clear that validation is only legal if it comes from the original creditor, and thus an "in-house" document from the debt collector fails to meet the standard. The law actually says that the collector must obtain verification FROM THE ORIGINAL CREDITOR and provide a copy to the consumer. Otherwise, there is nothing to prevent a greedy collector from putting any amount they want to on the paper and saying "hey, you defaulted on this $200 credit card five years ago, you now owe us $14,729.68....."

collector, I would suggest that you take a course in debt collection law, you clearly need one. Also, perhaps some clarification is in order when it comes to "junk debt"....in my mind, junk debt is any debt, regardless of age, where your company buys it without any documentation to prove the claim. if you know you dont have documentation to prove the debt, how ridiculous can you be to think that you have a legal right to collect on it? We live in a country where the citizen is guaranteed the right to be presumed innocent until PROVEN guilty, son. you would be wise to remember that.

Sub: #5 posted on Wed, 12/24/2008 - 03:10

skydivr7673 skydivr7673
(Posts: 2037 | Credits: 579.66)

so send them back the validation letter they sent me? with the legal threat attached?

Sub: #6 posted on Wed, 12/24/2008 - 01:25

Unregistered

the same letter.except state that they validated nothing and any further collections will result in you looking into your legal options.

Sub: #7 posted on Wed, 12/24/2008 - 01:03

paulmergel paulmergel
(Posts: 15511 | Credits: 1357.03)

Need some help, asked for DV from Zenith Aquisition...who was collecting for Asset Acceptance (Original Creditor CHase), so I get communication from Asset saying thank you for your request for validation, see attached. Well the attached document has got to be the biggest joke...this is what it says...

asset acceptance llc
Their address

Asset Acceptance LLC Acct # *******345

Original Creditor : Chase Original Acct# ********0987

Name: Joe Shmoe Balance: $1,500

And then the bottom half is a payment coupon to return with my payment. Yeah Right!

I think I know that this is not proper validation, but what's the best letter to send back to them, telling them I know they are violationg my rights according to the fdcpa?

Sub: #8 posted on Wed, 12/24/2008 - 01:00

Unregistered

Im paying them off to get them off my back and thir are still calling my house when I send them money is that right can thir do that

Sub: #9 posted on Sat, 10/25/2008 - 04:15

Unregistered

Collector you are blowing smoke up your own a$$ if you believe the lies that you are spewing!!

Sub: #10 posted on Thu, 09/18/2008 - 13:23

Unregistered

Attachment
More information
  • Files must be less than 1.25 GB.
  • Allowed file types: txt pdf jpg jpeg png.
Post as a guest
CAPTCHA
This question (Case Insensitive) is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Image CAPTCHA
Post as a member

Share post

Page loaded in 0.291 seconds.