Debt Consolidation Forums Debt Consolidation and Debt Settlement forums

What is the worst thing that can happen when you are sued?

member profile picture
Credits: 12459.35
[Donate]

I am being sued by citibank credit card. I live with my daughter and have no income, i have not been able to pay on this debt since oct2001, i am scared i have never had this happen to me. what is the worst thing will happen to me?

Is is Citibank's inter collection agency that is threatening to sue you?? Citi bank is the worlds worst I think in using "scare" tactics to make people buckle to them and pay right away. Have you tried to make payment arrangements with CitiBank?

Sub: #1 posted on Sun, 05/21/2006 - 08:05

Linder Lou Linder Lou

(Posts: 87 | Credits: 76.58)

I too got sued by Citibank back in 2003--they cops served the papers to my mother during the day when I was at work. Boy, did I get alot of questions from her! I ended up filing backruptcy b/c I could afford the monthly payments even with consolidation of all my debts. I would get an attorney for advice, they shouldn't charge you for advice! If need be, hire him then, I know that may sound like alot of money, but my attorney cost me $700.00 to file bankruptcy, so your attorney just to make up a letter to Citibank or whatever shouldn't cost that much.

Sub: #2 posted on Sun, 05/21/2006 - 08:18

brylvr brylvr

(Posts: 31 | Credits: 17.44)

2001?? What state are you in ?? It could be out of the SOL for your state.. If it is out of SOL they might try to file suit, but you should be able to have it dismissed on ground the debt is time barred.

Sub: #3 posted on Sun, 05/21/2006 - 08:31

LCW LCW
Moderators
(Posts: 1152 | Credits: 249.83)

If you have no income to repay the debt I would definitely see if you could file bankruptcy. My bankruptcy was actually done by a paralegal and cost about 400 dollars total. Bankruptcy filing laws have changed recently so I don't know if that would still be an option.

If you don't want to try that,let me ask you this--do you get some kind of state or county support each month or child support? I am pretty sure they can't attach those types of funds. Maybe they can arrange some type of affordable payments for you. Have you talked with them and explained your financial situation?

Sub: #4 posted on Sun, 05/21/2006 - 11:02

Lorri Lorri
Moderators
(Posts: 1722 | Credits: 224.66)

Good point Clay. millerdenyse, check your state laws for SOL. If the debt is past SOL, they cannot win it, provided you appear the trial and raise your voice with SOL issue. Consult a lawyer; don't let them win a default judgment.

Sub: #5 posted on Mon, 05/22/2006 - 05:12

stanley stanley

(Posts: 1640 | Credits: 23.96)

Blah. I hate reading things like this. I hope every credit card company that pays money for a law suit ends up losing that money AND The money owed to them because the victims have to file bankruptcy. Some companies are so willing to work with you - but others aren't. Don't you'd think they would be so they can at least get something every now and then? Creditors... blah.

Sub: #6 posted on Mon, 05/22/2006 - 08:49

Ehwin Ehwin

(Posts: 139 | Credits: 50.51)

what is the statue of limitation of a debt in WI

Sub: #7 posted on Wed, 09/27/2006 - 19:36

Unregistered

The SOL in WI is for six years from the date of last payment done towards the credit card account. What is the current status of your account?

Sub: #8 posted on Thu, 09/28/2006 - 16:53

mcranberra mcranberra

(Posts: 524 | Credits: 71.94)

i was sued by citi and got a warrant in debt. i settled out of court. the thing is, if you don't own property, if you don't have a job.....how would they collect it. the only way they can is if they garnish wages or if they attach a lien on property you owe. other than that you can't get blood from a stone

Sub: #9 posted on Thu, 09/28/2006 - 17:21

Unregistered

receive a phone call from a man named richard todd couldn't understand the company name said he was an investigator and he called on a friday and said if he didn't hear from me there would be a devalt judgement against me at 3 o'clock and gave me the case number I called my court house and they said there way no such case number now a sheriff came to my door today and i wasn't home have no idea who this company is or what I owe sheriff will probably be back tomorrow , have read many bad posting about richard todd what should I do( note he called on friday and said the case would be on monday live in pennsylvania)

Sub: #10 posted on Wed, 08/19/2009 - 21:28

Unregistered

Share post

Page loaded in 3.692 seconds.