MRS Associates Inc - Are consumers satisfied with their service?
MRS Associates Inc. is a collection agency headquartered in New Jersey. The agency claims to settle delinquent accounts in quick time using efficient recovery specialists and collection methods. However, most consumers are not satisfied with the agency's services and have a lot of complaints against them. Have a look at the topics given below to know more about MRS Associates collection agency:
What are some of the common MRS Associates complaints?
Some of the most common MRS Associates complaints are given below:
- Unnecessary harassment: One of the major accusations against the agency is that they harass consumers unnecessarily. A consumer complains that the agency keeps calling him time and again, even though he is not the same person they're looking for. He just happens to share the first and the last name with the actual debtor!
In some cases, the agency harasses the consumers even though they've been making payments to pay off the old account. One such customer says MRS Associates collection agency has been calling him repeatedly, although he has been paying $60 each month for almost 3 years!
The collection agency even calls customers for debts which they have never taken. One consumer complains that the agency called his wife on credit card accounts which she never had. Know more...
- Rude and abusive behavior: The representatives who call the customers are very rude and often use abusive language to threaten them. One customer claims that an MRS representative screamed even at his 3 year old daughter! The customer was so upset that he filed a police report against the agency. Check it out.
- Refuse to validate debts: One of the complaints against MRS Associates collection agency is, they refuse to validate debts. A customer said MRS asked him to pay off a Capital One bill which he says he never had. When he asked them to validate, they simply refused to do so. Find more information on this.
- Unauthorized withdrawal from accounts: The collection agency is accused of running unauthorized withdrawals from their customers' accounts. A customer says the collection agency (CA) withdrew his entire social security disability income directly from his account, without informing him. Another customer complains that MRS Associates Inc. kept withdrawing money from his accounts even after he had made payment arrangements with them. They made several unauthorized withdrawals from his account and he's still awaiting a refund from them. Know more.
How to deal with MRS Associates Inc.
If the collection agency harasses you to collect a delinquent account, you should take the following measures:
- Send a validation letter: You should first send MRS Associates collections a debt validation letter through certified mail with a return receipt request. Under the FDCPA, the agency is required to validate the debt before continuing with their collection activity. You should also ask for a copy of the original agreement signed between the original creditor and the agency. If they cannot validate the account, you are not legally bound to pay it off.
- Send a cease and desist letter: As per the FDCPA, the agency will have to stop harassing you if you send them a Cease and Desist letter. They cannot make phone calls to your work of place and cannot use abusive language while talking to you. If they still harass you, you can file a formal complaint with the FTC or the State Attorney General's Office.
- Check the SOL: You also need to check if the account has crossed the Statute of Limitations (SOL) in your state. If the account is past the SOL, MRS Associates Inc. does not have the right to collect it.
- Settle or pay off the account in full: In case the agency validates the account and it is not past the SOL, you will have to pay it off. You can enter into a payment agreement or do a settlement with the CA to pay off the account.