Pressler and Pressler - How to fight with them regarding an old debt
Rate This Article:
by 6793 members
Pressler and Pressler is a collection agency (CA) based in Parsipanny, New Jersey. They are a law firm that collects old debts from consumers. For most consumers, the experience of dealing with this CA has not been very pleasant. Given below are a few such experiences shared by the guests and members of the DebtCC community.
What are the complaints against Pressler and Pressler law firm?
A majority of the people are dissatisfied with Pressler and Pressler because of the bitter experience they have had while dealing with this collection agency. As per consumer feedback, this law firm does not seem to be very popular among consumers for a variety of reasons. The complaints against this firm are as follows:
- They sue you for false debts: People say that this CA may come after you to collect debts that you may not even owe. A consumer says that the CA sued him for a debt that he never owed. He received summon from the court and had to respond to it. He also complains that the company tried to collect his personal information (checking account, driving license information, etc.) claiming that he was legally bound to provide them with the information. Know more.
- They take money out of checking account: A person alleges that Pressler and Pressler took money out of his account without his authorization. He says the company robbed him of his hard-earned money ($1400) and left a negative balance in his checking account. Get more details on this.
- They sue you for debts already paid off: The collection agency is accused of suing debtors for debts that have been paid off. One such debtor claims that the CA took him to court for an account he had already paid off. Check it out.
- They are very rude: Consumers often complain of being harassed by Pressler and Pressler. A person even claims that they are the "rudest" people he has ever had to deal with. He thinks holding a "civilized conversation" with them in utterly impossible. Find more.
Should you pay Pressler and Pressler for an old debt?
When the collection agency contacts you and claims that you owe them an old debt, you may think "Should i pay pressler and pressler for a claimed debt?". Well, you should not, until and unless they validate it. When they contact you, the first thing you should do is, ask them to validate the debt they are trying to collect. There would be two possible scenarios â€“ either they will provide you with proof to validate the debt or they will refuse to validate. Check out the following points to know what you can do in each of these situations:
- You do not owe the debt: In case they fail to validate the debt, you need not pay them a single penny. Send them a Cease and Desist letter asking them to stop calling you. If they still harass you, they will be in violation of the FDCPA laws. You can then file a complaint against them with the FTC or the State Attorney General's office.
- You do owe the debt: If the CA validates the debt, you may consider paying it off to lead a tension-free life. You can negotiate with them to settle it for an amount less than what you originally owe. You may try and negotiate with them on your own or you may consider enrolling in a debt settlement program. In such a program, you will have to make a reduced payment each month into a trust account with the debt settlement company and they will negotiate on your behalf to settle the outstanding account with the CA.
How to fight Pressler and Pressler in NJ
If the collection agency tries to collect from you illegally and violates the debt collection laws you can file a complaint against them with the FTC, State Attorney General's office and the BBB. You can also take legal action against them for harassing you. However, before you take any action against them, it is important that you are aware of your rights under the FDCPA. Check out the following FDCPA rules that can protect you from harassment by the CA:
- The CA cannot contact relatives, etc.: The CA cannot contact a third party for your debt. Hence, if they contact your relatives, neighbors or employer for your debt, they will be in violation of the laws. The CA can contact them only in case they cannot get in touch with you.
- They cannot call at odd hours: The collection agency is not supposed to call you at odd hours of the day. They can call you only from 8 a.m to 9 p.m during the day. They cannot disurb you while you are in your place of work.
- They cannot use abusive language: The law also restricts the representatives of the collection agency from using abusive language against you. So, if any company representative speaks to you in a rude manner, you can take action against the company.
If you need to contact the CA, you can use the following contact information:
Address for Pressler and Pressler collection agency:
7, Entin Rd., Parsippany, NJ â€“ 07054-9944
Phone number: 973-753-5100
Fax number: 973-753-5353
Sub: Pressler and Pressler - How to fight with them regarding an old debt
Sun, 02/11/2014 21:36