DebtConsolidationCare [A+ on BBB] Logo
DebtConsolidationCare Forums
Discuss your problems and get out of debt
Get honest and blunt feedback on your debt issues from Experts for FREE
For Free Debt Counseling: Call 800-DEBT-913 or

Collect America: 4 Steps to tackle collection calls and letters

Collect America, better known as SquareTwo Financial, is a financial organization based in Denver. The company purchases debts from the biggest creditors of the country and then collects payments from people. The company deals with several types of consumer accounts such as secured debts, retail accounts, credit cards, credit lines, etc.

Collect America - What community members have to say about them

A lot of community members have dealt with Collect America. They have shared their experience and feedback in forums. Read along to know what the community members have to say about the company.

1. Scare tactics: A community member has opined that the company uses scare tactics to get money from consumers. In several cases, the debt has been paid long time back, yet the company calls consumers for payments. They are also accused of having wrong information about the consumers.
  2. Vague information: A member has complained that the company does not give the correct contact information. Apparently, the company sends papers which inform that they are only safeguarding the privacy rights of the consumer.
  3. Useless collection calls: A consumer received a call from Collect America one day. The consumer couldn't receive the call. When the consumer called them during the night, all she heard was an automated voice demanding to know her SSN and account number. The consumer din't give any information and called back in the next day. The company couldn't give any information about the consumer.
  4. Letters regarding invalid debt: There's yet another complaint regarding the Collect America company. The company sends letters to consumers regarding invalid debt. A consumer received letters for 4 years regarding a debt of a person who didn't live in his/her house.

There are several other complaints against the company. For instance, the company sent a letter to a consumer who had discharged all his debts through bankruptcy. Another consumer said that he received letter from the company regarding the debt of his deceased mother. The funny part was his mother had left the world 10 years ago.

Tips to deal with Collect America

If you're receiving several letters from Collect America regarding debts, then follow these tips to deal with them smartly.

1. Don't reveal your SSN number: Don't reveal your SSN and account information over the phone. It'll be a mistake to reveal your confidential information over phone since the company may use it to harm your financial life.
  2. Send a Cease and Desist letter: If you're receiving letters from Collect America regarding an illegitimate debt, then check out the sample Cease and Desist letter and send it to them via certified mail.
  3. Contact the State Attorney General: If the company is harassing you regarding a debt, then feel free to contact the State Attorney General as soon as possible. The State Attorney General's office will investigate the case and take the desired action.
  4. Notify your bankruptcy attorney: If you're receiving calls and letters regarding a debt discharged through bankruptcy, then notify your attorney regarding it. The attorney will tell you about the steps you need to take to handle the matter.
Collect America – Contact details

Collect America Aka SquareTwo Financial

4340 S. Monaco, Second Floor

Denver, CO 80237

Toll Free Number: 877-304-0146

Credits: 2440.2
[Donate]

Anyone hear of these people before? I got a letter in the mail today which is a Notice of Privacy Policy of CA Holding, Inc. I found out there name is Collect America. This letter talks about Security Standards and sharing information they collected. Anyone ever get this letter? Could they have bought my debt from Zwicker and Assoc.? I am confused.

cajunbulldog

Credits: 42498.45

Sub: #1 Here is their contact info for headquarters per their web site.
Sat, 03/24/2007 - 10:18

Here is their contact info for headquarters per their web site.

Headquarters:
370 17th Street
Denver, CO 80202
Telephone: 303.296.3345
Toll Free: 800.478.5541

The letter you received is a privacy notice all creditors are required to send to their customers per rules of the federal trade commission.There is a good chance that they now own your debt.

Cajunbulldog
Keeping an eye out for consumers.
http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fdcpa/fdcpact.htm#809
http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fcrajump.shtm
http://www.debtconsolidationcare.com.../about216.html
Use this letter to protect your rights under the FDCPA
myfairdebt.com & myfaircredit.com-Good source of case law in forums.

Unregistered

Sub: #2 I got a letter to about the privacy policy never heard of these
Wed, 11/04/2009 - 11:14

I got a letter to about the privacy policy never heard of these people befor

Unregistered

Sub: #3 They buy debt and try to collect on it
Thu, 11/05/2009 - 20:05

They buy debt and try to collect on it

Unregistered

Sub: #4 Quote:Originally Posted by jbtemtpAnyone hear of these people be
Sat, 11/07/2009 - 07:19

Quote:
Originally Posted byjbtemtp
Anyone hear of these people before? I got a letter in the mail today which is a Notice of Privacy Policy of CA Holding, Inc. I found out there name is Collect America. This letter talks about Security Standards and sharing information they collected. Anyone ever get this letter? Could they have bought my debt from Zwicker and Assoc.? I am confused.

Got the same notice..

"Effective: Aug 1, 2009"

CA Holding, Inc.
4340 South Monaco St., 2nd flr
Denver, CO 80237
ATTEN: Privacy Notices

Unregistered

Sub: #5 Feel like a dumbass (dume-ass in French) for posting a comment w
Sat, 11/07/2009 - 07:38

Feel like a dumbass (dume-ass in French) for posting a comment w/out investing a little time 1st!

"AND...Thanks for listening."

-Steve Jones (103.1 fm)

Unregistered

Sub: #6 so they got my dept now u think they will take my tax returns?
Sat, 11/07/2009 - 13:06

so they got my dept now u think they will take my tax returns?

unclewulf

Credits: 31502.85

Sub: #7 They can't interfere with your tax returns. To be on the safe si
Sat, 11/07/2009 - 14:14

They can't interfere with your tax returns. To be on the safe side, I wouldn't use direct deposit, because they can freeze your bank account if they get a judgement. Just get a paper check. WalMart cashes those for about $3.

Wulfisms: my blog

The four 'no's of dealing with collectors:
No validation? No payment. No way! No kidding!!

Tellin' you all the zomby troof
Here I'm is, the zomby woof
[Frank Zappa, 1988 - R.I.P.]

Unregistered

Sub: #8 yea i dont have a bank accont no more so is that better?? and i
Sat, 11/07/2009 - 23:17

yea i dont have a bank accont no more so is that better?? and i love it that they wont take my returns. ty for the help

unclewulf

Credits: 31502.85

Sub: #9 Keep us posted. We'll help you however we can.
Sun, 11/08/2009 - 06:09

Keep us posted. We'll help you however we can.

Wulfisms: my blog

The four 'no's of dealing with collectors:
No validation? No payment. No way! No kidding!!

Tellin' you all the zomby troof
Here I'm is, the zomby woof
[Frank Zappa, 1988 - R.I.P.]

Unregistered

Sub: #10 they seem rather sneeky to me. glad I don't have anything of any
Sun, 11/08/2009 - 20:21

they seem rather sneeky to me. glad I don't have anything of any value.....including money.

Add new comment

CAPTCHA
This question (Case Insensitive) is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
Image CAPTCHA

Share post

Page loaded in 3.306 seconds.